Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Damn! Been down again - FINALLY!

Finally - after more than 3 weeks I've made it back down to the allotment! EVERYTHING is growing :) You have no idea how happy I am about that, I was just starting to lose the faith, but it has been re-invigorated; even with all the weeding. I managed to fill an entire wheelbarrow full of weeds that were pulled out of just 4 of the beds (4ft x 4ft) - that is a lot of weed!
The above is the corner of the bed that has the parsnips in - I've not weeded it yet cause I wasn't 100% sure what the parsnips looked like - I know now, so back tomorrow after work to finish off!

I was pleasantly suprised to see that a few of the items I wasn't expecting up were in fact up! Below is a picture of the asparagus - which was a wonderful suprise under all the weeds!! Haven't eaten asparagus since I was a kid (and I didn't like it then) much less grown it - I'm hoping my taste buds have matured. Well, if I don't like it I'm sure it'll be snapped up!



Above is the Jerusalem Artichoke, I didn't really know what this was either, but a process of elimination let me work it out. I didn't plant this in rows, well not neat ones, I planted them in a rough grid - but the weeds were all around and hiding the plants really well! :D
I'm rather looking forward to seeing how these babies go - I've not eaten these before at all. Anyone else getting the idea that the allotment is my experimental playground!



Check out my nice neat rows of carrots! Sadly the red spring onions in the rows between really aren't having any fun :( I think I may have to put something else in there - maybe something else to stop the dreaded carrot fly... Or maybe, if it isn't too late, I can sow some more carrot...



Below is the one row in the bed of Parsnips that I know are Parsnips! The rest I wasn't so sure about in the failing light. I'll be down there tomorrow to sort out the other rows ;)

My final picture of success for the night is the bed with Onions, Shallots and Garlic in - they are doing really well. All of these plants are doing really well when you consider that they haven't had a drop of water or rain in 3-4 weeks! I suppose there is enough in the ground to keep em going for now - even though last time I was down there it was more like the Australian outback! The bed still needs a weeding, but because the soil in this one is less prepared and more sandy it hasn't let so much take route so deeply. That was the problem with the other beds - over preperation I suppose, the soil was really well prepared and fertilised - but it meant that the weeds were too! Still I'm on top of it now - hopefully it won't get any worse!

I've got rows of spuds in too - I forget the breeds - but I don't have photos yet - I'll grab them tomorrow and update. They are taking really well though, considering I planted them out rather late...











No comments: