Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting there…

Well I’ve been down again – and the weather is getting warmer. I’ve managed to clear the top half of the site, ready for my “master plan” re-design. I’m going to create a pallet-wood wall at the bottom end of the allotment and stop the rain from running away with all of the goodness in my soil.
The site is on a slope, nothing too major, but with the sandy soil that we have I need to retain as much as possible. I’m going to level it off nicely and then cover the majority in about 8-12 inches of manure and black plastic – then let the worms work it all in for me over the next year. I’ll leave the top 1/8th or so uncovered to deal with next year so that I can grow at least a little bit down at the allotment…

I’ve also managed to plant the 4 fruit trees in their permanent home – a couple of apple trees, a pear tree and a cherry tree – I’m going to have to prune them each year to keep their size down. But it’s an experiment isn’t it? :)

Once I’m comfortable with the fruit trees I’ll try some step-over cordons of apple and pear as fencing down the sides of the allotments – I think it’ll look nice :D

I’m going down this week to do some more work – I’ll try to remember the camera this time so I can take some snaps – my iPhone broke, so I can’t use that anymore!

No comments: