Friday, June 05, 2009

Slow and steady wins the race?

Well the slow slog is starting to pay off – just  a quick post for now with some photo’s of the things I’ve planted and how they are doing!

IMG_0095

 

 

 

My peas – the few I have so far, not quite climbing the wigwam yet. I’ve got to go and make a nice structure around the wigwam for them to grasp hold of.

 

 

IMG_0098

 

These are the Gladioli that I got cheap at Lidl’s some time ago – they all seem to have come up nicely – there are a couple of other plants in there too – just can’t remember what they are!

 IMG_0100

 

This is an Braeburn apple and a Stella cherry tree (both Lidl specials) and they are doing just fine it seems – I’m hoping that severe pruning will force them to be close to dwarf as there was no info on the stock type – otherwise new trees will need to be bought.

 IMG_0101

 

 

2 more of the bargain trees – a Jonagold apple and a pear (can’t remember which one now)

 

 

 

IMG_0102

 

 

This is my Red Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts. At the end, behind the sloping not-yet-cut piece of wood are the new Asparagus that I have planted.

 

 

 

IMG_0103

 

 

 

This is my Red Cabbage, Savoy Cabbage and Kohl Rabi.

 

 

 

IMG_0104

 

 

 

Sweet corn and Pumpkin. May need the addition of some climbing beans…

 

 

 

 

 IMG_0105

More Gladioli – with a row of colourful Chard in the background.

 

 

 

 

 IMG_0108

 

Courgette of 2 types (Yellow and Green)

 

 

 

 

 IMG_0106

 

My Rhubarb which is doing SOOOO well – the year after putting it in we thought it was dead!

In the front are some more flower bulbs from Lidl.

 

 

 

 

IMG_0110

 

Bargain strawberry plants from our garden centre. We weren’t going to bother with strawberries this year, but thought what the hey!

 

 

 

IMG_0112

 

These are the raspberry canes that I found doted around the plot whilst I was clearing – I just moved them to this then clear bed to see what they would do – they are going great guns and all have lovely little green berries on! I LOVE raspberries!

 

 

 

 

So there you go. I’ve got some netting, twine and tennis balls on order from eBay so that I can put out some netting to stop the f’ing pigeons. Twine to get the peas growing UPwards. Tennis balls to put on top of canes to support the netting :)

I’ve also got some more strawberry plants being delivered to booster what I have now. AND I’ve ordered a cobnut tree and an almond tree, both on dwarfing stock! :) That’ll be nice!! One arrives at the end of June – the other in the autumn…

No comments: